[hibernate-dev] Killing hibernate-jpa-api ?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Dec 14 05:25:09 EST 2017

On 13 December 2017 at 13:34, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 7:05 AM Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:
>>
>> Not really. Think of it as Deprecation: it will trigger some warnings
>> for end users, especially those who didn't get the "news" of moving to
>> the new API, and keep things working for a little longer for those
>> people not willing (able?) to react right away to resolve the
>> warnings.
>>
>> We can keep a deprecated method (jar) around for a couple more
>> releases, or drop it as soon as it gets too inconvenient to maintain.
>> It's definitley not a promise of long term.
>

> Couple more releases of what?  Hibernate ORM, as opposed to JPA?  I assume
> that's what you meant, just making sure.  Honestly I would never publish a
> new relocation - that means we are incrementing the version of the JPA API
> jar, which should not happen.

I was thinking JPA API releases: we'd release an updated one using our
own groupdId and artifactID but at version 2.2, which when used will
trigger a deprecation warning and redirect tools to use the official
spec instead.

But really I just meant "couple" as intentionally vague: no promises
to the community as people should really start using the "new"
official GAV.
Since it's a deprecation we can do this once just to do people a
favour by nudging them in the right direction; we *may* want to do it
again in the future, probably not if the next one is a major..  we'll
have download stats and then we can see and decide later.

I also see no reason to set a "cleanup reminder": this is in a
separate repository, if we just forget about it that means nobody will
need it.

Thanks,