[hibernate-dev] New project, new group-id: org.hibernate.lucene-modules

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri Feb 17 05:30:25 EST 2017

On 17 February 2017 at 10:16, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
>> On 17 February 2017 at 09:42, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> That's a great initiative.
>>
>> Thanks! Credit to Gustavo - he created the project idea - I actually
>> failed to follow
>> up for a long time.
>>
>> I wasn't fully convinced, especially as we were waiting for directions
>> on the area,
>> but convinced now that we should at least split it out even if we don't know
>> the recommended modules format and WildFly strategies going forward.
>>
>>> Have you considered to make this a more
>>> general effort, esp. should this rather be a repo / group id under the
>>> WildFly reign instead of Hibernate?
>>
>> Yes, the "org.hibernate" organization prefix is a deliberate choice.
>>
>> The main reason is that we're the ones maintaining and - hopefully - releasing
>> this module set.
>> Proper organization namespacing is important within the Maven modules world.
>
> I don't see why we couldn't maintain it when using something under
> "org.wildfly". Yes, it'll require a bit more work upfront to agree on
> it. But ideally, WF could even pick up the modules from that project
> for its own distribution, so it seems like a good fit.

Let's assume we do that. You'd also want me to move this repository to
github.com/wildfly ?

I'm concerned we're making this maintenance much more "out of reach" for us,
just to polish an identifier.

For example, the pom metadata I created suggests using this mailing
list for any comment,
and while I read the WildFly ML periodically, I don't read it as often:
 - https://github.com/Sanne/lucene-modules/blob/4a823d1f2ec1244c6fb2f38a063253df75cb9187/pom.xml#L34-L54

Mind you, it's not the goal of this project to be popular.
It just has to work for our purposes: if having the wrong identifier
will lose it some % of users I will still sleep at night just fine.
Possibly being useful to other people is nice, but is secondary.