[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Commons project

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Mon Jan 30 06:03:33 EST 2017

Everything you said seems to make sense to me, so +1.
We can see later whether we agree on the other common projects we could add
(checkstyle rules, test utils, ...), but I think there won't be many
arguments *against* them as long as there is no transitive dependency to
these projects for end users. It's mostly about how we work internally,
after all.

About the specifics:

== The groupId

To me it seems to make perfect sense to move hibernate-commons-annotations
to the same repo, but I can understand it'll cause some trouble to
developers. At the very least we could just rename
org.hibernate:hibernate-commons-annotations to
org.hibernate.commons:hibernate-commons-annotations, so that we'll be
consistent with the other 6.x groupId renamings. As for moving code between
repos, we can always see about that later: it won't impact end users.

== The license

On the license side, I think we can only license our common projects under
Apache License 2, because one cannot include LGPL work within an ASL2 work.
So using LGPL would prevent us from using the projects in HV... probably.
Source: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x
> The LGPL is ineligible primarily due to the restrictions it places on
larger works, violating the third license criterion.

Yoann Rodière <yoann at hibernate.org>
Hibernate NoORM Team