[hibernate-dev] [HV] Memory footprint improvements

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Mon Jul 24 10:43:59 EDT 2017

Hi all,

One general challenge for HV is that we cannot easily determine the set of
validated classes upfront. Neither is there means of listing all validated
types explicitly (akin to JPA's <class> in persistence.xml), nor is it
sufficient to check classes for a limited set of well-known annotations to
identify the relevant classes (as on of BV's premises is support for custom
constraint types).

Building up the meta-data eagerly would avoid retaining memory for the "raw
model", on the other hand it means we build up instances in the "aggregated
model" for classes which potentially are never validated. So I'm not really
sure whether that's better. But if we decide to build up the metadata
eagerly, this should be based on Jandex IMO, otherwise we'd end up with
re-implementing lots of that ourselves.

On specific question would be how to limit the scope of such scan, as there
isn't the notion of something similar to "persistence archives" in JPA. But
then we wouldn't want to scan all the JARs on the classpath. Limiting it to
the classes of the current deployment seems reasonable in WildFly. But in
SE (say when using HV with Spring on Tomcat) we'd need a way to express
which JARs to scan.

> So my vote would go for 1/ and I would accept the additional startup cost.

+1, caching instances of the raw model seems not too useful, e.g. typically
people won't derive dozens of sub-types from one base class in their model
(which is the case where the current caching would be beneficial, as the
metadata for the base class would only be retrieved once).

A variation of the current scheme could be to process all types of a
hierarchy upon first validation of any type in that hierarchy. Say we have
a class A with sub-classes B and C. When validating B for the first time,
we'd build up the metadata for A, B and C, caching the raw metadata for A
just in the context of this call. This requires though to reliably identify
all sub-classes of A, which cannot be done using standard reflection.
Jandex could help (though we cannot keep the index at runtime, so we'd have
to retrieve and store just the inheritance relationships from the index).

> I once thought about completely removing the method metadata if the method
> wasn't annotated at all but then I thought that the overriding rules would
> prevent us to do that.
>
> Gunnar, am I right on this?

The overriding rules are checked when merging the raw metadata into the
aggregated model, so indeed I'd think we could omit that method metadata
from the aggregated model in this case. Definitely worth exploring. Same
for property metadata. I've filed
https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HV-1447 for looking into this. Calls
to BeanMetaData#getMetaDataFor() could return an empty placeholder
implementation then.

Another thing I've been pondering on is the implementation of the public
metamodel (defined by BV API). Currently that's independent from our own
(aggregated) metamodel and thus allocates another bit of memory. We could
try and implement the BV metamodel interfaces directly with our own
metamodel model types. E.g. BeanMetaData#getBeanDescriptor() would then
simply return itself. This should save some memory currently allocated for
the nodes of the external model.

--Gunnar