[hibernate-dev] Are arrays of non-basic elements supported?

Vlad Mihalcea mihalcea.vlad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 10:38:24 EDT 2017

The docs says:

When it comes to arrays, there is quite a difference between Java arrays
and relational database array types (e.g. VARRAY, ARRAY). First, not all
database systems implement the SQL-99 ARRAY type, and, for this reason,
Hibernate doesn’t support native database array types. Second, Java arrays
are relevant for basic types only since storing multiple embeddables or
entities should always be done using the Java Collection API.

I guess the "Second, Java arrays ..." part is indeed a little bit
misleading.

I created the following issue:

https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-11891

Is it a problem if I link the docs to my blog post about how to support
arrays of basic types?

https://vladmihalcea.com/2017/06/21/how-to-map-java-and-sql-arrays-with-jpa-and-hibernate/

Thanks,
Vlad