[hibernate-dev] Introducing a new API in Hibernate Search to "sign" HTTP requests to Elasticsearch

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri Jun 2 04:30:36 EDT 2017

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017, 08:56 Gunnar Morling, <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I find the exposure of an implementation detail (usage of Apache HTTP
> client) of the Elasticsearch client a bit problematic. If they change
> this to another HTTP client, our SPI would break.

Yes the very point of exposing that detail is the reason for this thread.

Still, our SPI being guaranteed only for a minor, that gives a lot of
flexibility?

The Elasticsearch client exposing this itself, I don't expect them to
switch implementation in a micro release to make some bugfix. If they
change it in a major or even minor version, we're ok to not support that
version until our next minor.

> Did you instead consider to just let users provide their custom
> instance of org.elasticsearch.client.RestClient? It's still leaking an
> implementation detail of Hibernate Search, but at least it's one
> indirection less.
>
> People wishing to have a custom RestClient would have to implement a
> few more bits themselves (the logic from
> DefaultElasticsearchClientFactory#customizeHttpClientConfig()), but
> I'd find that acceptable for the sake of a less detail-exposing SPI,
> plus it grants more flexibility in terms of configuring the
> RestClient.

N.B. The client factory already is a Service so any advanced user already
can override it.

We want to make it easier for cloud users. Focusing on AWS now as we've had
user requests for this - not least our own CI - but I'd expect other clouds
to have similar features (today or tomorrow). I just don't expect other use
cases to need this so we might provide them all eventually, but at this
point my goal is to leave an appealing SPI for contributors to join on that.

With that I mean:
1# this might evolve but we need something simple to use for people to not
get stuck.
2# I expect integrator implementors to contribute them back
3# People won't have this low level dependency in their projects for long

Having them re-implement the client wouldn't encourage this ;)

Thanks!
Sanne