[hibernate-dev] Continue to add 5.2 deprecations for 6.0 work?

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Jun 27 10:15:27 EDT 2017

Per subject I wanted to come to a consensus as to how exact we want to be
in terms of continuing to add deprecations to 5.2 for ongoing 6.0 work.
Considering that these deprecations are meant to be a guide for users to
migrate to 6.0 I think we should try to be as complete as possible in this
effort, but wanted to hear other's views.

An alternative is the @EndOfLife annotation I have recently added to 6.0.
We could back port this annotation and use that instead; the reason being
that people complain when we deprecate something without being able to
specify its "replacement".  This would be an option to do both.  The
drawback is that this annotation obviously has no tie-in with javac - users
would have to go out of their way to find these.