[hibernate-dev] [SEARCH] 6.0: what if we flipped our metadata definition upside down?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Mar 27 06:39:33 EDT 2017

I don't mean this to be a strict "No", but I'm not convinced for now
on the benefits such an exercise in refactoring brings..

In a nutshell the goal is reading from {Annotations, ProgrammaticAPI}
-> Actual applied Metadata.

Independently from which one we read from first, won't there always be
a risk of forgetting the other input processing blocks?

Having one transformed into the other - like it is today - at least
allows to make sure the interpretation of metadata is very consistent
(when we don't forget about implementing support for an annotation).
Keep in mind that we don't really create annotations: we just make
sure to behave like they existed.

You make a good point on free-form. We'll certainly need another
"input -> actually applied Metadata", but in that case there's no need
to be consistent with how annotations would be applied; in fact quite
the opposite: I expect it to be beneficial to be able to do some
things in a different way.

So I DON'T expect this to evolve into:
    F({Annotations, ProgrammaticAPI, Free Form}) -> Actual applied Metadata.
But rather two different operating modes:
   1#  F({Annotations, ProgrammaticAPI}) -> Actual applied Metadata.
   2#  Z({Free Form}) -> Actual applied Metadata & custom walkers.

My point being that the two operations F() and Z() are intrinsically
based on both different input APIs and requirements.
While the purpose of the current Programmatic API, the fact that the
working is very similar to annotations also has the side-effect of
making the API intuitive for people who wish they could have added the
annotation, but can't for some reason and have to fallback to this
API: the picture they have in mind about their task is still similar
to "add this annotation over there".

I concur that the strategy to "simulate" annotations looks weird, but
it's working fine, while such a significant refactoring poses various
risks (both our time and likely regressions) for a benefit I'm not
convinced of ;)

Thanks,
Sanne