[hibernate-dev] <join ... fetch="select"/>

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Oct 13 08:31:08 EDT 2017

Hibernate mappings define a feature to allow a secondary table (`<join/>`
in hbm terms) to be defined as not joined via : `<join ...
fetch="select"/>`.  This actually creates a subsequent select to load the
data from the secondary table.

I am trying to figure out how to best incorporate this into the paradigm
for JDBC statement execution in 6.0.  My first thought was "do we need to
keep this?".  Does anyone know of a real usage of this feature?  In theory
it could be useful to some degree along with bytecode enhanced interception
for lazy-loading individual attributes.  But even then, I'm not sure how
practically useful that is.