[hibernate-dev] JVM metadata costs vs the use of inheritance across Logger interfaces

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Sep 25 08:18:35 EDT 2017

On 25 September 2017 at 13:09, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:

>> I'm missing something.  IIUC the discovery was that, e.g., having
>> something
>> like `BaseHibernateSearchLogger` in module-A and then something like
>> `RealLogger` in module-B that extends `BaseHibernateSearchLogger` causes
>> extra space to be taken up within the VM memory space.  Yet this is still
>> exactly what you do.  What am I missing?
>

> Same question here.
>
> Also, does it only apply when inheriting from a base logger in another
> module or also when inheriting from a logger in the same module? I.e. is
> this issue related to cross-module boundaries or rather any kind of
> inheritance of logger types?

It's just that the generated code looks at the actual definitions, not
only the declared ones.
Since it's a different interface you'll get a new copy of each logger
definition; this might sound irrelevant but in this specific case gets
quite large in terms of metadata, so it's worth keeping in mind when
designing these inheritances.

I'm not saying such inheritance needs to be avoided at all costs; just
raising awareness of this effect. In the Hibernate Search case seems
reasonable to clean it up - in other cases I guess but I'm not sure if
it's worth it to take concrete action but I like us to be aware of the
tradeoffs.

Thanks,
Sanne