[hibernate-dev] Property "ogm.datastore.create_database": fit for purpose?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Sep 27 08:19:11 EDT 2017

Thanks Gunnar, at an high level that's pretty much on the same page
than everyone else, but some details are relevant:

On 27 September 2017 at 13:08, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
> I'd suggest to
>
> * simply ignore "create database" for Infinispan (not all OGM-defined
> properties are supported for all stores)
> * implement support for HBM2DDL_AUTO to create tables (or caches etc.)
> *within* the chosen database (which will be ISPN's global namespace as there
> is no notion of databases there)
>
> I would not make database creation part of the HBM2DDL_AUTO implementation,
> since that's not the case on ORM either (AFAIK, one would specify some
> parameter to the connection URL for having the database created if needed).

I'm confused. You say we should create the "tables" but we should NOT
create the "database" when this property is enabled.

My previous email just explained that Infinispan has neither tables
nor databases; we conceptually conflate both concepts into "Cache",
were making a distinction is a grey area.
So what are you suggesting we do?

Thanks,
Sanne