[hibernate-dev] "Hibernate Types" project

Vlad Mihalcea mihalcea.vlad at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 05:28:15 EDT 2017

Hi,

It's because not all database support ARRAY or JSON.

We've been discussing this on the mailing list (around one year ago) and I
remember we concluded that we can only add these types to ORM core
if the vast majority of the Hibernate-supported database offer JSON or
ARRAY.

Also, even if we add support for them, it's improbable that we are going to
backport it to 5.1, 5.0, 4.3, 4.2 and 4.1. So, since my blog readers
requested me to provide these types via Maven Central, I decided to bundle
them in a new library.

If more and more databases add support for JSON, we could add support for
it in 6.0.
For ARRAY, I doubt that more DBs will support it if they haven't done it by
now.

Vlad