[hibernate-dev] "Hibernate Types" project

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Sep 28 07:37:45 EDT 2017

On 28 September 2017 at 11:39, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> It's because not all database support ARRAY or JSON.
>>
>> We've been discussing this on the mailing list (around one year ago) and I
>> remember we concluded that we can only add these types to ORM core
>> if the vast majority of the Hibernate-supported database offer JSON or
>> ARRAY.
>>

> I see. A separate project/repo under the Hibernate umbrella could be an
> alternative, too ("Hibernate Extras" or so). I.e. some middle ground
> between part of ORM proper and fully being 3rd party.

I'd (eventually) aim to include it in the hibernate-orm repository,
but as a separate jar?

So people can take it or ignore it depending on their needs, yet we
can all help making sure it keeps working for future releases.

I would not incorporate it into the hibernate-core artifact so that we
can exclude it from inclusion in e.g. WildFly until we feel it's ready
for that.

No rush though, I guess it would be easier to wait for some 6.0 branch
to be stable.

Thanks,
Sanne