[hibernate-dev] 6.0 Alpha1 prep

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Dec 5 08:42:45 EST 2018

As I am preparing the Alpha1 release a few topics of discussion have come
up...

Previously (last year's f2f) we had decided to unify the artifact naming
conventions; specifically for ORM this meant renaming the groupId from
`org.hibernate` to `org.hibernate.orm` as part of 6.0.  I wanted to see if
everyone still agrees with this.

There are a few artifacts we need to decide how to handle:

   - `hibernate-entitymanager` and `hibernate-java8` have been part of
   `hibernate-core` since 5.2 (I thought moving `hibernate-entitymanager`
   happened way earlier, but seems like not).  Should we drop these?  They
   have been defined as relocations for quite some time now).
   - `hibernate-ehcache` defines support for using Ehcache 2 as a
   second-level cache, which is a version the Ehcache team does not even
   support anymore and have not for quite a few years.  Ehcache 3 is a JCache
   compliant version and the way that the Ehcache team prefer to handle the
   integration (in fact they wrote most of `hibernate-jcache`).  IMO this
   should be removed as well.  Thoughts?
   - `hibernate-infinispan` - support for using Infinispan as a Hibernate
   L2C has been moved to the Infinispan project. Again, IMO this module should
   go away.  Thoughts?

Andrea, Chris.. anything you can think of that I missed?