[hibernate-dev] Chat migration - D minus 115 until the death of HipChat

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 04:40:31 EST 2018

So, I'm using Zulip right now on a daily basis.

I maintain my first impression that it's really not user friendly.

The fact that you are required to create topics for discussions (or find a
suitable topic in a list of a gazillion topics previously created,
obviously without a search engine where you need it - you have a global one
at the top where you can find topics) is a pain. You also need to use
ctrl+enter to send a message, the default enter is a new line in your
message. The UI is not very good and I don't see any improvement since the
last time I tested it so I'm wondering if they are investing in it.

We could decide to use it as a dev team as I suppose we would get used to
it, but I seriously don't think it's a good alternative for our users to
occasionally come chat with us.

As for Gitter, I agree with the notification issue, the web client is all
buggy. Haven't tested the desktop client yet.

I must admit that I prefer using Gitter. Probably until I get bitten by the
1-1 history issue :).

>From what I can see, GitLab doesn't invest much in Gitter either so I
wonder if it's gonna be viable in the long term.

I suppose we'll see.

--
Guillaume