[hibernate-dev] master and 6.0 branch

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Dec 6 14:56:27 EST 2018

I completely agree with everything you say.  A few thoughts in-line...

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:37 PM Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com>
wrote:

> == What to do then
>

> There are a couple of options:
> 1/ no workaround, then we should consider it for 5.x

If it is fixed in 5 then it should be fixed in 6 as well.  Either it is no
longer a problem or because we port the fix from 5 to 6.  Not saying
exactly how that happens - just that that needs to be the end result.

> 2/ there is a viable workaround, we can postpone it to 6, but we
> definitely would need to have something to mark them as we need to fix them
> (a version, maybe, or a tag?) - one thing is that it would probably be a
> good idea to categorize things a bit because when you revisit something for
> 6, it would be a good idea to have the existing bugs in mind as it could
> influence the design.

Using a tag seems enticing, but experience tells me that won't really have
the effect I think you want.

> * if it's something we want to fix in 6, there might be several options:
> 2.1/ we can already fix it in 6 because the features are already
> implemented
> 2.2/ we can't fix it right now
>
> IMHO, we should start considering taking into account 2.1/ into the daily
> work for 6 if we want to make this work as otherwise we will end up with a
> very big pile of bugs when 6 finally gets finalized.
>

> As for 2.2/, we should really have a way to keep track of them and push
> them to case 2.1/ when we can. Note that it's the same case if it's more an
> improvement but we consider it as something we want: if we want it, we
> should find a way to keep track of it somehow.
>
> That also means that we would need someone familiar with 6 to help
> triaging the issues. IMHO, this can be done once a week, if done regularly
> and steadily.
>
> If we continue fixing bugs, even in 6 only, that still says to the
> contributor "we hear you, we are improving". If we just stop fixing bugs
> until 6 is more or less feature-complete, then we send a very bad message
> IMHO. And we will end up with a pile of unfixed issues in the bugtracker
> that we won't really be able to deal with. And less users.

Alpha1 just released the fix for HHH-37.  Yep, that's right 37 - the 37th
issue ever since we moved to Jira.  We *do* keep improving ;)  And that's
just one of the many.

But yes your point is valid.  It is very important to keep fixing bugs.