[hibernate-dev] Hiberante OGM Infinispan Remote dialect - Execute the command queue as a single Infispan Remote Server Task

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Feb 6 08:55:29 EST 2018

Thanks for starting this, great ideas.

We should start exploring such options but I am thinking of some more
limitations that we'll have to overcome. To keep the discussion from
getting hopelessly complex, let's try to clarify the purpose:

The goal is to solve two problems which are strongly related:
  # performance / efficiency
  # better ACIDity of "transactions"

# Efficiency
Radim makes a great point, it would be nice to be able to address the
optimal node for any "task" we might want to perform.
JIRA:
 - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-8770

However while we wait for the Infinispan team to provide such
refinements, I think we should go ahead with this plan already, not
least for the other reasons, but also to be able to eventually provide
quick feedback on such improvements.

Clearly this means we'll incur (possibly?) a performance hit when
running a simple task - such as writing a single key - but it
shouldn't matter much for more complex operations: especially with a
small sized cluster chances are high to hit a node owning at least one
of these.

For the moment our client could detect if it's preferrable to run a
task or a "simple op"; essentially we could implement some of
ISPN-8770 in our Dialect but rather than making this too complex on
our side I'd contribute to the Infinispan improvement first.

# "one transaction, one task" ?

Just to clarify, we can't promise that the ORM won't need to flush
multiple times before the transaction is finally committed. Make sure
you read about auto-flush strategies, either in our docs or there are
many good articles about the topic.
In a nutshell, if there are dirty entities of some type A, and then a
query is run on that same type A, the ORM engine needs to flush the
pending changes on all As first to make sure the queries are accurate.
We could debate if this is appropriate and maybe we shouldn't do it on
all NoSQL stores, but it's certainly debatable as it's a change in
semantics compared to what people are used to.

It's not entirely bad news though; while a single transaction might
actually be performed by multiple, independent although ordered "Task
RPC"s this will give us some opportunity to at least make sure that
operations which really need to be atomic will happen atomically; for
example when we delete an entity we can make sure that all references
are cleared up correctly. However it's not a real transaction still
and we need to be clear about that, no big deal as "real transactions"
will come soon in Infinispan Remote too.

# Usability

Just a note on this. I hope we can try to work on this while expecting
that the Infinispan Server won't need to have specific code deployed
which depends on the specific application, such as the object model.
If it helps we can think of an "OGM extensions" to be included with
the Infinispan Server, but the code we include would then need to be
able to work with any schema. Ideally, even with multiple versions of
OGM, so I'd hope that we can design the models of each task we'll need
as Protobuf Entities.

Fabio, do you want to start working on such a POC?

Thanks,
Sanne