[hibernate-dev] ORM DDL doesn't reflect BV constraints with validation mode CALLBACK

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Wed Feb 7 13:02:36 EST 2018

> Ok, so this is the crux then because it really comes down to whether you
> believe whether it is valid to *only* export the annotation-based
> validations as DDL.
>
> And keep in mind that this code is basically unchanged from all the way
> back to the initial "integrations" with HV.  So back then the
> thought-process (not mine, btw) was that yes, that *is* valid - hence the
> option to chose just DDL as an option.

You'd still have that ability with my suggestion, just keep validation mode
to NONE and set hibernate.validator.apply_to_ddl = true.

By "safest mode" above I meant CALLBACK is the right way if you really want
to make sure that lifecycle validation occurs, or you'll get an exception
if no BV provider is present. It can't happen that lifecycle validation
silently, unexpectedly doesn't happen. Hence I prefer it over AUTO. And as
things stand I can't benefit from constraints in DDL export in that case,
which is a pity.

But if thats now no longer valid then that changes things.