[hibernate-dev] Jenkins job priorities

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 05:25:57 EST 2018

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Yoann Rodiere <yoann at hibernate.org> wrote:

> I hope we will be able to use this priority feature instead of the Heavy
> Job plugin (which allows to assign weights to jobs), and avoid concurrent
> builds completely. With the current setup, someone releasing his/her
> project will only have to wait for the currently executing build to finish,
> and will get the highest priority on the release builds. Maybe this is
> enough? If you disagree, please raise your concerns now: I will disable the
> Heavy Job plugin soon and set each slave to only offer one execution slot.

I'm not really convinced by this solution. Some jobs still take quite a lot
of time and having to wait 20 minutes for each job I would trigger is a bit
annoying.

If it was for only one job, it would be acceptable, but let's take the
worst case of a coordinated HV release :
- TCK release
- API release
- HV release
- website
- blog

I won't have to wait for each of them as some of them will be grouped by
the prioritization but I'm pretty sure I will have to wait for several of
them.

So, I'm +1 on having this plugin as it seems to be helpful on its own but
I'm -1 on considering it is a solution to the "let's roll a release" thing.

--
Guillaume