[hibernate-dev] Jenkins job priorities

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 11:33:19 EST 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org>
wrote:

> I'm confused now. AFAIK this has never been the case? I understand
> that the release process itself runs without running the tests, but
> I'd still run the tests by triggering a full build before.
> You made the example of the TCK and various tests; to run them you'd
> not be allowed to run them in parallel with other builds, so you
> wanted to release and the jobs happened to be building ORM and all its
> RDBMS, you'd have had to wait for a couple hours.

When I start my release process, all my test jobs are green. That's the
precondition.

I usually don't commit something in a haste just before the release.

When I start my release process, my release job has a weight of 2 so it
passes in parallel of the other jobs (be it ORM, Search, or even BV/HV, as
the release job pushes a commit so builds are triggered).

That's why I like this weight plugin.

And yes, this works because the release jobs don't run the tests so I'm
sure there's no conflict of resources with another job.

> Still I don't really understand if you're having a better idea. In a
> nutshell these jobs need resources, if they are busy you either add
> more resources, or change priorities, or you wait. That's the three
> aspects you can play with "safely".

As explained above, there's no conflict of resources in the case of the
current release jobs: they don't run tests.

That's why it works.

--
Guillaume