[hibernate-dev] Serializable SessionFactory

Vlad Mihalcea mihalcea.vlad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 12:19:16 EST 2018

Hi,

While reviewing old PRs we have in the ORM project, I stumbled on this one
about serializing the SessionFactory.

I created a new PR, rebased on top of the current master branch and all
tests are passing fine.

If anyone wants to take a look, this is the PR:

https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/2107

I'm thinking we should integrate it in 5.3.Alpha and stabilize it if there
are some unforeseen changes.

The only drawback is that, if we allow the SF to be Serializable, upgrading
will be much more difficult in case we change object structure.
We could make it clear that this might not be supported or use the
serialVersionUID to point to Hibernate version: major.minor.patch.

The main benefit is that, for a microservices architecture, Hibernate could
start much faster this way.

Vlad