[hibernate-dev] ci.hibernate.org : announcing distributed cache for maven artifacts

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Jan 17 05:38:09 EST 2018

On 17 January 2018 at 08:34, Yoann Rodiere <yoann at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Thanks for trying :) We might try to improve the Maven plugins in question,
> but as you said we already spent quite some time on infrastructure...
>
> That being said, if we are ever to follow-up on this caching idea, Gunnar's
> idea of a local Nexus got me thinking... Was your change only about
> performance, or is it also about the bill? From what I understood we pay for
> outbound network traffic, so those recurring downloads might be a problem...

Right, my goal was to both improve performance and cost, but I was
mainly driven by concerns aout the Docker images.
Turned out this could not be applied for Docker as the documentation
was more explicit about such dangers but (I thought) I had a nice
Maven cache as side effect.

> To reduce the bill, what if we simply added a AWS node running a Nexus
> repository or a HTTP cache acting as proxy to the various Maven repositories
> we use?

That was my first idea as well, but after a quick look - I might be
wrong - it looked like a significant time investment.
Unfortunately while there are various "proxy as a service" options,
they are not meant for inbound traffic to your own cluster.
I have managed Nexus instances in the past and would not want to do it
again - also I doubt that it would be very effective either on the
bill or on the download speeds.. essentialy while it might help a tiny
bit it's not worth the effort.

Consider also that there's a mirror of Maven Central in our same data center.

> If we pay for outbound network traffic but not for network traffic between
> our own nodes, that would be a solution. Not sure if we would gain much in
> performance, since network speed would probably be similar, but that might
> reduce the bill (depending on the cost of this additional node, of course).

Bandwith on AWS is metered both inbout and outbound to external IPs.
Internal services are also metered, but in a different cost cathegory
(way cheaper). Finally, when our own nodes are provisioned by enabling
co-loction or cluster features then the communication among those in
the same group is free. It's not possible to "launch" any of the other
AWS provided services directly within your own cluster, so unless we
can reuse data from our direct peers one might as well hit the local
mirror of Central.

All in all, I was hoping to learn something at low risk to then apply
this to Docker images, that's higher priority so we can suspend the
work on Maven stuff. There's no free "Nexus service for Docker" -
maybe we should deploy OpenShift as I guess it contains such
functionality.

Thanks,
Sanne