[hibernate-dev] Could we have a Hibernate 5.3 compatibility layer that includes the ORM 5.1 Hibernate Session class

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Jan 31 10:28:01 EST 2018

Didn't we discuss this at our last meeting?

The general opinion - and final verdict - was that doing like you're
asking now again would be way too much work and not generally worth
it, not least not in the best interest of all our users. Technically
it's certainly possible, but a lot of work going at cost of more
useful progress, not least possibly causing confusion to users in
various ways.

Our proposal is unchanged (from the meeting):

we'll have - experimentally - two versions in WildFly.

In a first stage this would be version 5.1 and 5.3, so that people
needing backwards compatibility with 5.1 can use 5.1 (can't have
better compatibility than that!), while people wanting to use a later
version can opt in for that.

In a second stage, possibly onboarding some lessons, version 5.3 will
be gradually replaced with 6.0. MAYBE 6.0 will be API compatible with
5.3, but definitely not with 5.1.

I'm not sure if we can have this in WildFly.next, but the sooner the
better. As soon as we have a stable release of Hibernate ORM 5.3 we'll
start looking into details of such a double integration.

Thanks,
Sanne