[hibernate-dev] ORM progress: tricky branch state

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 12:13:29 EDT 2018

Hi Sanne,

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 5:48 PM Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Not sure what to suggest to people wanting to contribute new features
> today; maybe hold as we assume the 6.0 work will be merged in master
> soon? Will be hard to say no to many reasonable requests though.

IMHO, there are 2 types of contributions:
1/ real new features that people want for the future: this could go in 6,
once it's in the appropriate state: we had a few cleanup contributions
lately or explorations in new areas;
2/ things that are questionably bad ORM behaviors (not really bugs but
still) that people would like to have integrated in the very near future as
it's a real problem for them.

As for 1/, I don't know how the merge to 6 is done: e.g. if we could have a
"5.4" on master we would never release but where we could merge new
features that would be integrated in 6 in the final merge or if we'd better
wait and avoid changes as much as possible. In any case, we should probably
decide something and communicate clearly about it.

It's not easy to draw the line for 2/. I have a few PRs in mind that enters
this category and that I would prefer to merge sooner rather than later
(this to have some feedback from the field before the WildFly 14 release).
Yes, https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/2383 , I'm looking at
you: we do a very bad job currently and with the OpenBravo model (the
contributor is from OpenBravo), any criteria query is terribly slow. It's
not exactly a bug as the query in the end will succeed and gives the
correct result but it's definitely something that is not working as
expected. Personally, I consider it as something I would want in 5.3.2 but
YMMV.

--
Guillaume