[hibernate-dev] 5.3 cache issues [Requires Steve]

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Tue Jul 3 02:33:23 EDT 2018

> 2) This is easily handled by the providers, if they wish.  They would
> simply map any undefined regions/caches to a pre-defined one (probably
> after warning the user).  Keep in mind that region != cache.  A provider
> might map multiple region names to a single cache.  That was always the
> case, but every provider mapped region <-> cache as 1-1 - the new API makes
> this much more clear.

Just to clarify: this would require cache implementors to provide their own
region factory, and in that case we all agree they can do whatever they
want, which is nice.

The problem is more with the built-in Ehcache and JCache region factories.
Our built-in region factories call getCache(String), and if it returns
null, they throw an exception. So the cache implementors do not have an
easy way to auto-create a cache using some internal, default configuration:
they would have to do that in the getCache(String) method, and it's
arguably not something you want to do in a method with such a name,
especially considering it's exposed to other clients than just Hibernate
ORM. And I'm not sure the JCache specification even allows that.

Ideally we'd like Ehcache/JCache to expose some getOrCreate(String) method,
and decide for themselves whether to throw an exception or not, but well...
they don't. Which explains the suggestion to handle the "default" logic on
our end.

Yoann Rodière
Hibernate NoORM Team
yoann at hibernate.org