[hibernate-dev] AbstractStandardBasicType#getReplacement() prototype is incorrect since HHH-12054

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 05:02:43 EDT 2018

Any thoughts on this one? Luis, I think your opinion would help.

replace() being currently final, we cannot override it in child classes so
I tried another approach trying to avoid breaking what has been exposed to
the users:
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/2390

It's not pretty but I think it's the best we can do.

I still have a corner case when I don't know exactly what to do: what if
the original blob is null and the target blob is unfetched: should we set
the blob to null or initialize a new empty blob?

The current situation is:
1/ if original is null and target is null, it returns null
2/ if original is null but target is not null, it returns an empty blob

So the question is what should we do if original is null and target is
unfetched? Should we do 1/ or 2/?

--
Guillaume