[hibernate-dev] 5.3 - hibernate-ehcache

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Mar 15 09:04:38 EDT 2018

Given the changes to the second-level cache SPI, I wonder if we want to
take that as an opportunity to consider dropping the `hibernate-ehcache`
module?

There are a few reasons I am considering this...

   1. We have the JCache integration in  place and users can use Ehcache
   via that support already.
   2. This is really the same discussion we had wrt Spring Cache[1].  IMO
   the answer should be consistent.  We moved hibernate-infinispan for many of
   these same reasons...
   3. A large part of the argument for keeping hibernate-ehcache was that
   it is already in place and therefore did not require much effort to
   support/maintain.  However, given the new SPI there is actually a pretty
   big effort to adapt hibernate-ehcache to those new SPIs.  So far I am the
   one doing that - which in and of itself is fine since I am the one who
   changed the SPIs ;)  But it makes me think it is far less of a maintenance
   effort just to drop it and support just hibernate-ehcache.

WDYT?

[1] https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/1639