[hibernate-dev] Wrapping up 5.4.0

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Nov 6 10:48:24 EST 2018

JPA's EntityGraph feature is cumbersome to define and use.  Hibernate 5.4
adds 2 new features to help make working with EntityGraphs easier.

*EntityGraph parsing*

The first feature is the ability to create a graph from a String
representation.  E.g., given a Person entity, we might want to make sure
the Person's spouse is eagerly fetched:
````
    final EntityGraph eg = org.hibernate.graph.EntityGraphs.parse(
Person.class, "spouse", entityManager );
    final Person personAndSpouse = entityManager.find( Person.class, 1,
Collections.singletonMap( "javax.persistence.fetchgraph", eg );
````

This parsing supports all of the features of EntityGraph creation including
sub-graphs (though see second feature) and sub-class graphs.  See the
documentation for in-depth discussion and examples.

*EntityGraph manipulation*

This is mainly about combining graphs.  E.g.

````
    final EntityGraph eg1 = org.hibernate.graph.EntityGraphs.parse(
Person.class, "spouse", entityManager );
    final EntityGraph eg2 = org.hibernate.graph.EntityGraphs.parse(
Person.class, "spouse(age, dob)", entityManager );
    final EntityGraph combinedGraph
= org.hibernate.graph.EntityGraphs#merge( entityManager, Person.class, eg1,
eg2 )
    final Person personAndSpouse = entityManager.find( Person.class, 1,
Collections.singletonMap( "javax.persistence.fetchgraph", combinedGraph );
````

This is a very trivial example meant just for illustration.  It can
actually be much more easily defined as:

````
    final EntityGraph combinedGraph =
org.hibernate.graph.EntityGraphs.parse( Person.class, "spouse( age, dob )",
entityManager );
    final Person personAndSpouse = entityManager.find( Person.class, 1,
Collections.singletonMap( "javax.persistence.fetchgraph", combinedGraph );
````

P.S. Looking back at this, I wonder if we want to combine
`org.hibernate.graph.GraphParser` into `org.hibernate.graph.EntityGraphs`.
As-is, users wanting to use both of these features above would need to
import both of those classes.  What do y'all think?