[hibernate-dev] CriteriaBuilder, aggregation and types

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 06:59:38 EDT 2018

Hi,

We discussed a bit more with Fabio on Friday and we ended up discovering
that we have an issue with most Expressions that contain nested Expressions.

The Renderable contract is defined with these 3 methods:
    String render(RenderingContext renderingContext);

    default String renderProjection(RenderingContext renderingContext) {
        return render( renderingContext );
    }

    default String renderGroupBy(RenderingContext renderingContext) {
        return render( renderingContext );
    }

The issue is that most of the Expressions containting nested Expressions
only implement render().

This means that you basically do the following:
call renderProjection() -> expression1 only implement render() -> we call
render() on the nested expressions instead of renderProjection().

One possible workaround is to do what was done in SearchedCaseExpression
for all the Expressions containing nested expressions (e.g. implement the 3
methods and have a private method taking a lambda to propagate the
variation).

You can see an example of this change here:
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/2568/files#diff-8fcc837a76b1af31f11e16a01332fd1dR96
.

Note that it has to be done for *all* the Expressions containing nested
expressions. Either that or we simplify the Renderable contract to have
only one render() method and a parameter defining the context. That would
allow to avoid all these changes.

Thoughts?

--
Guillaume