[hibernate-dev] Should we support out of date non-LTS Java versions?

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Wed Feb 13 06:36:25 EST 2019

Hi,

I think we should make it clear that only LTS JVMs are actually supported,
and non-LTS JVMs are only supported on a "best effort" basis, with some
focus on the very latest non-LTS JVM.
I doubt we have the appropriate resources to do anything more than that.

To be more specific, I would see things this way:

   - We may remove compatibility with an LTS JVM in a major release.
   - We will always, systematically remove compatibility with older non-LTS
   JVMs in every major or minor release, except the very latest JVM (which
   might be a non-LTS): we don't even test them anymore, and we don't list
   them as compatible on our website.
   - We may remove compatibility with a non-LTS JVM in a micro release, but
   we try not to actively do it...

Specifically in the case of your dependency removal in a micro: that
doesn't seem very useful to users, and doesn't solve a bug, so I wouldn't
do it. Also, changing dependencies in a micro doesn't feel quite right: I'd
expect micros to be drop-in replacements, and I can imagine adding/removing
dependencies to cause trouble in build tools/build configuration.
But I wouldn't make it a hard rule, either: we may be forced to do it one
day because of a bug, and such a small break is still better than a bug.

Yoann Rodière
Hibernate NoORM Team
yoann at hibernate.org