[hibernate-dev] [ORM] Reducing startup log verbosity

Chris Cranford crancran at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 10:46:57 EST 2019

See below.

On 1/3/19 10:29 AM, Steve Ebersole wrote:
> [o.h.d.Dialect] (main) HHH000400: Using dialect:
>> org.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQL95Dialect
>>
>> -> wondering if it has any value to log the dialect? I mean if you don't
>> use the right one, you will definitely have some issues.
>>
> True, but it is probably hard(er) to interpret the true source of the
> issues later on.
>
> However, I think it is reasonable to make this DEBUG.  If you have problems
> the first reasonable thing to do is to crank logging to DEBUG if not TRACE.

I completely agree.

I think its reasonable to make it DEBUG/TRACE but I don't think I want
to necessarily change it such that it is no longer included in log
output at all.  Having it be included is a good first-line of defense on
trying to resolve potential problems not only for us, but even for users
who are doing their own debugging before reporting an issue;
particularly if the error in question implies some Dialect configuration
problem.