[hibernate-dev] [ORM] Reducing startup log verbosity

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Jan 9 08:23:33 EST 2019

+1 to polish output, but:

I don't want to need to figure out how to reconfigure whatever Logger
of the day one happens to hit, to finally notice that essential
configuration details are wrong. Mostly because it requires to get the
idea to actually check this, which is not a straightforward thought
when all you observe is some odd behaviour.

Not least, big we don't want to have to go back to supported customers
and community members who have a problem with a "can you change the
log levels as I'm missing essential information": that's a huge waste
of time especially if we're having an exchange across timezones.

Could we rather collect essential info and then print it all out as a
single message?

  "Hibernate ORM ready and operational! [version: 7.0.1.Final,
Transaction mode: JTA, Dialect: PostgreSQL2020, Caching: enabled]"

Also I'd question that "verbosity" isn't the same as brevity; the
focus should be on hiding unnecessary technicalities but showing nicer
/ better information, so I'd not be shy to use some multi-line
information box if that looks better.

Thanks,
Sanne