[hibernate-dev] [ORM] Reducing startup log verbosity

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 10 11:38:45 EST 2019

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 01:44, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
> >
> > I disagree that logging a single message is a better solution because
> that probably ends up wrapping multiple lines, just as your sample happened
> to do in the email.  IMO that is actually more difficult to read.
>
> Ok keep it in one line if you prefer. No strong preference on how it's
> presented, but I think it's a big mistake to hide essential
> diagnostics: "paste the logs" is often useful when helping someone; it
> gets much harder if you first have to change categories.

You are combining separate things here....

First, *you* are the one that suggested doing it on one line unless I have
misunderstood.  My point is simply that practically speaking that will
either mean having to read wrapped lines (eww) or scroll horizontally
(double eww) to read this info.  If your desire is to continue present this
information anyway, then, well, what exactly are we changing?  Just making
it harder to read?

"Diagnostics".. interesting choice of word... if you are diagnosing
something that implies that there is a problem you are debugging...  but
here we are talking about boot-time informational logging.  Different
beasts.

If the distinction you are trying to make is that we want to see at a
glance what config Hibernate thinks it just processed versus what you think
it should be (was caching enabled, etc) - well, where do you draw the
line?  Because this gets back to my first point; if you log everything that
is "useful" in this single boot-time log message it is going to be
completely unreadable.

+1 those symbolic loggers are a great idea. But then please don't hide
> this information at least until we have those easier logger
> categories: Guillaume is set to patch 5.4x - which doesn't have them
> yet.

What I am doing in 6 has no bearing on this discussion.  Either we display
information or we don't - that is the crux of this discussion, not which
logger/category name we use.