[hibernate-dev] WildFly tests with ByteBuddy enhancement are failing

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 10:22:34 EDT 2019

On 3/22/19 10:08 AM, Scott Marlow wrote:

> On 3/22/19 9:24 AM, Scott Marlow wrote:

>>> This is a unit test class that is not an entity class, but instead it
>>> happens to be an EJB stateless session bean.  In the exception call
>>> stack [1], the class that ByteBuddy complains about is a WildFly
>>> class (not even a test class), you can see that in the exception
>>> message SerializationProxyHackImplementation [2].

>>> I was not really aware that classes like
>>> SerializationProxyHackImplementation [2] , would also be handled by
>>> org.jboss.as.server.deployment.module.DelegatingClassFileTransformer.transform()
>>> but I guess that makes sense, as application classloaders versus
>>> application module classloaders, are not distinguished internally in WF.
>>
>> I meant that class file transformers will be called for both
>> application classes and WF classes as well.
>
> I'm going to see if I can hack around this failure in WF code, so that
> WF doesn't call into Hibernate to transform the
> org.jboss.as.ejb3.SerializationProxyHackImplementation class.

I tried changing
org.jboss.as.server.deployment.module.DelegatingClassFileTransformer.transform()
to filter out any non-application classes but that didn't help as
DelegatingClassFileTransformer.transform() doesn't get called to
transform the SerializationProxyHackImplementation [2] class.

It might be that the application classes are getting injected with a
classloader that references the SerializationProxyHackImplementation [2]
class.

IMO, this probably should be fixed in Hibernate ORM or ByteBuddy.

>>> I'm also not sure of how Javassist handles ignoring the
>>> SerializationProxyHackImplementation [2] class but Javassist does
>>> work fine (as long as you work around the other issue, which is that
>>> Javassist can only be selected via system property setting but not
>>> persistence.xml setting, also mentioned in WFLY-11891 [3]).

>>> Agreed.

>>> [1] shows the exception call stack (look for
>>> "org.hibernate.bytecode.enhance.internal.bytebuddy.EnhancerImpl.lambda$enhance$0(EnhancerImpl.java:137)"

>>> No, sadly, this is the first time we updated the WildFly unit tests
>>> to try Javassist + ByteBuddy enhancement.  Its a very light test with
>>> little verification, basically we just modified some existing tests
>>> to include:
>>>
>>> hibernate.enhancer.enableDirtyTracking=true
>>> hibernate.enhancer.enableLazyInitialization=true