[hibernate-dev] Migration to Jakarta API: some practical aspects in dealing with Git and mass replacements

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Apr 20 08:57:00 EDT 2020

Hi all,

the migration to the Jakarta API is rather simple and can be performed
by "find and replace" operations, but it will affect a lot of code and
might get int the way of other work.

To keep things simple and avoid tedious, massive conflict resolutions
for all of us who are having "work in progress" somewhere in branches,
open pull requests, and local work in progress which didn't make it to
pull requests yet, I would suggest to not blindly merge/rebase changes
from master, but take a little special care while this process is
ongoing.

For example, I just pushed the update to Hibernate Validator 7
[HHH-13950], which is done
via the following two commits:

 1 - https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/commit/b9a24f458c6e9c5331b2362f58eb36e5c244de5e

 2 - https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/commit/60abc8aa764929920478888d1d6b08b95df3846a

Please note I'm using the commit description space to make notes about
how to port these commits.

I hope this helps; on top of single scripts for the individual
commits, when I'm done I'll also share a "one shot" script which could
be useful to process patches, so to have them apply cleanly for all
the unmerged work in progress we might have around.

Thanks,