[hibernate-dev] Bad boot performance since 5.4 switched to ByteBuddy

Christian Beikov christian.beikov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 11:26:05 EDT 2020

I'm moving this discussion from Zulip to the mailing list as Rafael does
not seem to be on Zulip. Here a little context:

 > Does anyone know if there is a known performance issue with Bytebuddy
during boot in 5.4? I noticed that 5.4 takes about 25%, sometimes up to
30% percent longer to boot, even when using a prebuilt Jandex index,
apparently due to the use of Bytebuddy

 > @Moritz Becker found the issue while trying to find out why our
Blaze-Persistence testsuite runs into CI timeouts with 5.4 but not with 5.3

 > So AFAIK, the PojoEntityTuplizer builds the proxy class through
org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.bytebuddy.ByteBuddyProxyHelper#buildProxy which
takes significantly longer than the javassist implementation

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to me that making the
byteBuddyState in
org.hibernate.bytecode.internal.bytebuddy.BytecodeProviderImpl static
might help. I'd guess this will help with the test execution time for
the Hibernate testsuite as well.

Any idea how to improve this @Rafael ?

Regards,

Christian