[hibernate-dev] Dropping support for Java 8 in Hibernate ORM (Search) v6 ?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Aug 5 12:00:24 EDT 2020

Sure, we can wait to drop Java 8 if you all feel strongly about it,
but give my proposal a chance :)

Let me address a couple random points:

Java version 9 and 10 are not useful versions to support: only 8 and
11 have long term support, so 9 and 10 are already out of support. All
surveys I've seen show that 9 and 10 have been largely ignored by
production users and enterprise professionals: they either use 8 or
11, or occasionally people the very latest.

So if there's any interest in taking advantage from any benefit which
came in 9 onward (such as multi-release jars as mentioned by Steve),
you might as well skip to 11.

Specifically, multi-release jars have loads of tooling issues still,
both for us and our end users (e.g. the IDE to show source code), and
a big problem to support as people might end up using mismatched
versions of the code.

As I mentioned there are no extremely compelling reasons to jump to
11, but it does simplify some things, which - when used pervasively -
simplify our own code and maintenance while introducing small runtime
benefits as well, such as consuming slightly less memory with the
improvements to collections and streams.

Regarding users, I'm simply fine with letting people use our 5.x
series for as long as they wish. You should all keep in mind that we
have a very high number of users, and with a small team it's just not
smart from our part to have them all try to jump on our latest: we
risk getting drowned in feedback, it's better to be selective with our
users and "pick" the ones which are more innovative. The ones still
requiring Java 8 will eventually upgrade as well, I'm just not worried
that we need to encourage them to upgrade right away.

Last but not least, even if supporting Java 8 comes relatively easy
for us, it's an additional burden and it's one we could avoid.
Certainly easier to drop it than starting to waste our time on obscure
issues caused by multi-release jars and such tools, or having to
maintain compatibility including at dependency tree (xml-bind apis,
and all those modules being different).

It's an opportunity to simplify, I'd take it. For users, it's more
important to set clear expectations and communicate this early.

Thanks,
Sanne