[hibernate-dev] 6.0 - HQL literals

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Jan 8 07:50:21 EST 2020

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 6:09 AM Christian Beikov <christian.beikov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If a user enters a HQL literal, that user wants the literal to be
> rendered like that if possible(which should always be possible).

Like I said earlier, we actually try to render literals (of any type) as
parameters whenever we can (which is almost always possible)

The only thing we have to define is whether the literal is by default in
> the JVM TZ, JDBC TZ or UTC. We could offer syntax variants that default
> to UTC etc.
>

> Not sure what makes sense, even if I like UTC more, to me it feels like
> the default should be using the JDBC TZ(which by default is the JVM TZ)
> and offer a dedicated literal syntax for the UTC variant as well as
> support for specifying the TZ explicitly.

The literal can define the zone if they want control.  I think that is
enough.  Conceptually that is what "JDBC time zone" is supposed to mean
exactly what we are discussing here, right?