[hibernate-dev] Jakarta EE: JPA 3.0 is coming

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Wed Mar 11 04:41:12 EDT 2020

> Yet I'm convinced that having a release
> which provides full JPA 3.0 TCK between 5 and 6 (or however it gets
> renamed) would be no good to us, as it would create an adoption
> barrier for both cathegories of people: the ones not interested to
> migrate away from JPA2, and the ones not interested to migrate beyond
> JPA3.

I get that, but I'm definitely not as hopeful as you are as to the
reliability of those bytecode hacks you mentioned. But I guess that's an
uphill battle.

What's to stop us from supporting JPA2.0 in ORM 7, with the same hacks you
mentioned for JPA3?

   - People who want JPA3 only have a hack-free ORM 7 that happens to
   support JPA2 annotations.
   - People who want JPA2 can migrate to ORM 7, and we'll provide hacks to
   make it work.

At least we wouldn't be penalizing people who want to migrate to JPA3 with
potentially unreliable bytecode hacks. Only people who want the latest and
greatest on an older API (which is, after all, quite an unreasonable
request) would have to put up with that.
And we'll be clear about the fact that this is a major version, since we're
switching to different APIs by default and will ultimately remove the old
ones.
And we'll be able to completely ignore these hacks in ORM 8 after we
rebased it on 7, since ORM 8 will drop support for JPA2 (I hope?).

Yoann Rodière
Hibernate Team
yoann at hibernate.org