[hibernate-dev] Jakarta EE: JPA 3.0 is coming

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Mar 11 04:49:31 EDT 2020

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 08:39, Yoann Rodiere <yrodiere at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Yet I'm convinced that having a release
> > which provides full JPA 3.0 TCK between 5 and 6 (or however it gets
> > renamed) would be no good to us, as it would create an adoption
> > barrier for both cathegories of people: the ones not interested to
> > migrate away from JPA2, and the ones not interested to migrate beyond
> > JPA3.
>
> I get that, but I'm definitely not as hopeful as you are as to the
> reliability of those bytecode hacks you mentioned. But I guess that's an
> uphill battle.

I'm not a fan of bytecode hacks either, so maybe let's just see what a POC
looks like before tearing it down?

What's to stop you from supporting JPA2.0 in ORM 7, with the same hacks you
> mentioned for JPA3?

Right, and in fact I mentioned as one of the possibilities for ORM6 to be
able to read and interpret the "legacy" annotations from JPA2.

I believe that's important to not get in the way of adoption but rather
actively help with some flexibility, otherwise people will have a very hard
time to upgrade to 6, and that's something that risks becoming a
significant burden on us all.

Thanks,
Sanne