[hibernate-dev] Jakarta EE: JPA 3.0 is coming

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 10:41:49 EDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 9:49 AM Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:

> I'm not a fan of bytecode hacks either, so maybe let's just see what a POC
> looks like before tearing it down?

I totally miss why we would want to even work on a POC given how much we
have on our shoulders? Could someone explain it to me?

IMHO, *if* consumers of our stack want to support both javax and jakarta
packages, the work will need to be done there i.e. in WildFly or Quarkus.

There's a good chance the solutions will be different given the totally
different infrastructure of both.

And supporting that for Hibernate ORM only makes sense if the whole stack
supports that e.g. CDI, HV, Jakarta EL... and AFAICS most of the projects
will only support either javax or jakarta, not both. So if we want to
support both, we will need the extra layer I was talking about at a global
level, not in Hibernate ORM.

I wouldn't open the door at supporting both in ORM and let the consuming
projects decide of the strategy they want to follow and how they want to
solve the issue globally.

--
Guillaume