[hibernate-dev] Jakarta EE 9 / JPA 3: reverting changes from master

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon May 4 11:56:43 EDT 2020

Hi all,

in previous emails I mentioned I suggested to release a JPA3
compatible version of Hibernate ORM out soon, as I expected this to be
the natural way forward, and soon to be needed by other projects such
as WildFly. I had started working on this myself.

However, the WildFly team hasn't decided if/when they will adopt the
new Jakarta EE APIs, and I've been advised by many that this upgrade
is unlikely to be in high demand:
it brings no new benefits at all, while it introduces quite some
annoying breaking changes.

We have a fairly complete prototype in the draft PR I've sent here:
 - https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/3373

And yet, I think I'll "put it in the freezer". Unfortunately I had
already merged some preparations work in 5.5, such as upgrading to
Validator 7.x: I will revert those changes, apologies for that mess
but I think it's for the best to postpone this for later.

When there will be more interest in this, it should not be too hard to
adapt the work as it's mostly strucutured in the form of replacement
scripts which should apply nicely w/o any conflict even on future
branches.

Thanks,