[hibernate-dev] v6 and load-event

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu May 28 16:55:43 EDT 2020

On Thu, 28 May 2020 at 21:27, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Any thoughts on this "continuation" approach?

I love the pattern! Maybe we'll need also some ability to not capture
the state for events which don't have any?

I wonder if that implies we'll need two different event contracts: one
for the listeners which need state and one for those which don't; but
I'm not eager to overcomplicate this.

> Or maybe its just not important (yet) to handle "surround" handling?

I'm confident that integration with tracing libraries would be very
useful and interesting to have - but indeed not having time to
research it properly I'm a bit afraid that it might need further
changes to reach excellent performance.

For example one thing I remember is that with some libraries you're
supposed to have the option to enable/disable the profiling options
dynamically, and since there's an expectation of no overhead when it's
disabled this would need to imply having a way for the overhead of
allocating space for the captured state to "vanish": this might be a
bit more complicated, or need to be able to take advantage of JIT
optimisations.

So if we end up thinking that such event APIs need to be different
depending on the need for state, perhaps indeed it's better to
postpone the design of those with state to when someone has time to
research an optimal integration with a tracing library. It might not
be too hard, I just haven't explored it myself yet.

Maybe let's do this incrementally, considering the "continuation"
approach a next step?

Thanks,
Sanne