[infinispan-dev] Query module new API and configurations

Navin Surtani nsurtani at redhat.com
Tue Aug 25 07:21:48 EDT 2009

On 25 Aug 2009, at 11:46, Manik Surtani wrote:

>>> Looks good.  But I think we should also support Lucene queries
>>> directly, as they provide a richer set of searchable terms and
>>> constraints.  Or perhaps impls like BooleanQuery to combine queries.
>>>
>>> E.g.:
>>>
>>> 	Query luceneQuery = createComplexLuceneQuery();
>>> 	CacheQuery cq = new QueryFactory(cache).getQuery(luceneQuery);
>>>
>>> See:
>>>
>>> 	http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_1/api/core/org/apache/lucene/search/Query.html
>>
>> It's a fine line to add "easy" query object factory methods:
>> - this single term query is often not enough
>> - even when it is, are you doing a TermQuery, a FuzzyTermQuery
>> (which fuzzy factor), a PrefixQuery or even why not a RangeQuery?
>>
>> where are you going to draw the line? I would rather see some DSL to
>> build Lucene queries which I would like to work on for HSearch as
>> soon
>> as free time comes by.
>
> Aren't there standards around this already?

If you're talking about API methods here then I believe that HS deals
with any type of Lucene query.

The issue with doing something like: -

	CacheQuery cq = new QueryFactory(cache).getQuery(luceneQuery);

is that to create a lucene query then you need to do the work of
creating up a QueryParser and stuff like that. This is the bit that
I'd like to avoid.

Is it too round-about / tricky / yucky if we the user is to provide
the specific class of the query? Or is that what you were suggesting
anyway Manik?

e.g.: -
		CacheQuery cq = new
QueryFactory
(cache).getQuery(org.apache.lucene.query.BooleanQuery.class);

If I'm completely off topic and talking rubbish then just ignore :).

> --
> Manik Surtani
> manik at jboss.org
> Lead, Infinispan