[infinispan-dev] mvn improvements

Jeff Ramsdale jeff.ramsdale at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 12:30:49 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Mircea Markus <mircea.markus at jboss.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> And a question: what is the purpose of having a parent pom.xml and
> <root>/pom.xml -> can't the <root>/pom.xml be the parent?

Yes it can. Years ago Eclipse wasn't able to handle nested projects, in
which both a folder and a subdirectory of it contained a .project file with
the expectation that they would both result in projects on import. Because
this didn't fit Maven's view of the world people would put the parent pom in
a peer directory--this was called a Flat Project Layout--see the bottom of
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/reactor.html.

Nested projects are no longer a problem in Eclipse, and in particular
m2eclipse supports them well. I don't see why the two parents (the
parent-parent and the peer-parent) shouldn't be merged (into the former) in
Infinispan. This particular case is strange since it seems to merge the
ideas from nested and flat structures. Not sure why...

-jeff