[infinispan-dev] REST server paths and tree adapter

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 20:03:00 EST 2009

yes, for REST api - which (by convention mostly) uses paths as keys.

so say:

server/a/b/c
a is cache name, "b/c" is the key string.

server/a/b/c/d
a is cache name, "b/c/d" is the key string.

So with a tree cache, b/c/d would be the hierarchy, and that means we
could (if we wanted) do a GET on a/b (a partial path) - and it would
return a list of items below in the hierarcy... (which may be
folders/elements, not sure how it works exactly in tree cache) - think
like how JCR maps to URLs, very similar to that. That could be useful
for managing content... without tree cache, we can still do it, by
indexing the key values (knowing they are paths) and then returning
the items without bothering infinispan etc..

but if its not really something that is needed (ie no need to think of
it as a hierarchy other then cachename/key) then it is overkill (and a
performance issue, like you say).

Hope that makes sense.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2009, at 09:22, Michael Neale wrote:
>
>> Quick Q: should I be using the tree cache "adapter" for the web/REST
>> cache - given that keys often take the form of a /foo/bar style of
>> path?
>
> Is this for the REST API into Infinispan?  If so, the path structure passed in is purely conceptual to the user.  E.g.,
>
>        http://server/infinispan/cacheName/mykey --> Key "mykey" in cache "cacheName".
>        http://server/infinispan/cacheName/my/key --> Key "my/key" in cache "cacheName".
>
> Is there any need for relationships in paths, e.g., to be able to determine that http://server/infinispan/cacheName/my/key is a child of http://server/infinispan/cacheName/my etc?
>
>> What are pros/cons of using the tree cache adapter? (can you get
>> listings of entries based on partial paths etc?)
>
> The tree adapter will always be slower than the map API.  And, when writing, would be O(n) based on how deep the target node is (since parents need to be locked).  What do you mean by partial paths?
>
> Cheers
> --
> Manik Surtani
> manik at jboss.org