[infinispan-dev] Raison de etre of TestObjectStreamMarshaller

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Wed Jun 3 11:59:15 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

I've spotted that JdbcMixedCacheStoreTest and others currently use
TestObjectStreamMarshaller rather than VersionAwareMarshaller. Why is
this? Easies of debugging with XStream based marshaller?

To increase test coverage, I'd suggest using VAM rather
TestObjectStreamMarshaller in tests as well.

In the case of JdbcMixedCacheStoreTest, the extended test coverage comes
from the fact that fromStream and toStream use start/multiple
writes/finish marshalling pattern, which is different to RPC calls,
where it's basically, start/one write/finish.

I can see the point of dummy cache stores cos you avoid needing a
database, files...etc, but I'm not sure whether about a dummy/test
marshaller. The more the production marshaller is used, the bigger test
coverage we have.

Regards,
Sr. Software Maintenance Engineer
JBoss, a division of Red Hat