[infinispan-dev] JMX documentation

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Thu Jun 4 04:02:29 EDT 2009

Guys

I have created a module called 'tools' in Infinispan trunk.  This
module is not packaged for distribution, but contains internal tools
to help with the build and development process.  So far I have created
one tool here - a custom Doclet that generates a summary of all JMX
components based on the JMX @MBean, @ManagedOperation and
@ManagedAttribute annotations.

The Doclet is currently invoked by running mvn install with the -
Pjmxdoc profile.  This will eventually be rolled in to the -
Pdistribution profile when building the Infinispan distribution.

The output of the Doclet can be viewed here:

	http://infinispan.sourceforge.net/4.0/apidocs/jmxComponents.html

So please make extensive use of the @MBean/@MBeanOperation/
@MBeanAttribute name, objectName and description parameters when you
use these annotations, to properly describe what it is you are
exposing and what it is good for.  These values are used to generate
the doc you see above.

Also, there is another JIRA to document a configuration reference
[1].  I expect this will take a similar approach, with each setter in
Configuration and GlobalConfiguration being annotated with equivalent
XML elements, details such as default and allowed values, and a
description.

Cheers
Manik

[1] https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-89