[infinispan-dev] [ISPN-32] API changes for query module

Navin Surtani nsurtani at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 06:42:12 EDT 2009

Heya guys,

I'm just getting going with the query module for infinispan (ISPN-32
in branches) and I just wanted to send around a couple of emails so I
could get an idea on some changes that I was thinking about making.

1 - query module: -

I decided this would be a better name than 'searchable' from JBCS
because I think that this would be a better name, and also JBCS never
really took off imo so I don't really want to stick with the old name.

2 - createQuery(): -

This was JBCS's only extra API method on the cache interface (or
SearchableCache) and I was thinking that maybe this is quite a long
method name - given that the cache has put(), get() etc ... I was
thinking of using query() but given that Lucene and Hibernate Search
both have Query classes that users deal with I'm wondering if there's
too much use of the word query. On the flipside, those are classes and
not API methods so it might work.

I'm not too worried about continuing on with createQuery() but think
it might work.

Another alternative would be search() but I'm not too convinced by that.

3 - SearchableCache: -

Should the name of this class be changed? I don't think so but if
anyone has any ideas ...

Thanks guys,

Navin Surtani

Intern Infinispan