[infinispan-dev] Distributed hashing - heterogenous nodes

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Tue May 26 09:23:07 EDT 2009

This is based on a question that came up when discussing Infinispan
with the Red Hat MRG group.  My current design treats nodes as equal,
and as such would get an equal number of keys mapped to the node.

This is not always desirable, since nodes aren't always equal.  Nodes
could be weighted.  Inspired by Amazon's Dynamo paper [1], I'm
considering providing an alternate ConsistentHash implementation that
supports weights, with the use of "virtual nodes", or "tokens".

I suppose the purpose of this email is, do we need a "simplistic" CH
implementation like the one I have right now, anymore?  Should we not
just ship a weighted CH, with the default weight being equal?

Cheers
Manik

[1] http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2007/10/amazons_dynamo.html

manik at jboss.org